Looking For The Next Big Thing?



My son asked me the other day how does one become rich. Obviously, being 14, what he really wants to know is how to become rich without lifting a finger ... except to play Call of Duty. I told him that if I had bought him a few thousand shares of Apple when it was a few dollars a share less than a decade ago, he would have done well by any kid standards. Unfortunately, I only bought him a hundred share at $ 50. Not bad. But not enough to make him rich. I told him that if he had enough insights to identify the next big thing, he could probably make a killing but not to count on it to make a living.

If you are yourself looking for the net big thing, listen to this video recently found on TED.com. Right out of a Super Hero movie, Tan Le explains how a new form of remote control developed by Emotiv Systems uses brainwaves to control digital devices and digital media.It's not only the technology which seems unreal. Tan Le herself conveys the image that she is a science fiction character. She is not a representative of the organisation chosen for her ability to deliver a clear and concise presentation on a complex matter in flawless English. She actually is the co-founder and President of Emotiv Systems. A glimpse of the future? Young, Asian, Female and in total command of the English Language. You have to admit that she defies the stereotypical image of today's CFO. I was truly impressed.

Gems like this one are the reason why, even though I have been very pessimistic about the short-term outlook and the probability of a U.S. recovery in 201o, I am rather optimistic about the long term prospects of the human race.

This blog was originally posted on THE SCEPTICAL MARKET OBSERVER